April 18, 2012

Of Seventeen Years and Thousand Canned Tunas

Oh gosh, you got braces!

These were the words that came out of my mouth together with my oh so not expected scandalous ‘I-want-to-make-a-scene’ shriek as I entered the building and as I saw my best friend Ronald walking towards the lobby to meet me. It was the 1st day of April, the heat of sun outside the building was starting to feel scorching and  the smell of summer was starting to waft. We decided to spent that afternoon together. It must have been five months. 

It has been five months since I last saw him and we were both very excited to talk about just anything we think we can think of as mind boggling concept or idea. Anything juicy and controversial will do too, like how sweaty the men corner of that gym was, or if some of those men ever think of using steroids and the like, and maybe why some people eat large Mcdo fries after working out that made everything about their going to gym pointless as it seems or topics that specifically pertain to me, say, why I still don’t have a job (then, not anymore now!), or why was he so screwed up with his project analysis, or why are dreams so hard to achieve. Stuff, plain and simple. Life. Formidable.

He went straight to me as I gave my identification card to the receptionist who wasn't able to resist the comedy of my statements. He was wearing a white tank top that showcased his much toned arms, gray jogging pants and his famous rubber shoes. He’s body looked so fantastic…a product of working out addiction and his so-called sweet potato/canned tuna diet. 

“I’m sorry I cannot do 100% sporty.” I said, apologizing about my wardrobe. My smile, sarcastic even teasing.

When in doubt, wear black! I heard my mind screamed. My outfit mainly consisted of a black tank top, black super short shorts with a very huge Lady Gaga inspired ribbon on the front, black Cole Vintage ballet flats and for a simple pop of color, a purple cover up I purchased in Hong Kong. 

As we entered the gym, Nicki Minaj and Madonna collaboration was playing on the background as  I saw people worked their asses off to let their bodies get ready for the upcoming bikini season. How I missed the beach! I sighed as I think of it. The warmth of its sand, the coldness of its water in the morning, the calmness it can bring, and yes, the freedom it can give. 

"Let's go to Shanghai this year." Ronald interrupted my beach daydreaming. He was now lifting kilos and kilos of weights. He didn't seem to mind their heaviness. 

Silence. He went to get something heavier to lift. Men of brawn flock around. 

"Let me see." I replied. "I really wanted to.", I added immediately.  

Aside from the thrill of a travel to China, we didn't talk that much. We reserved every thing for our early dinner when and where we can say anything with a platter of good food  right in front of us.It was  pretty much a simple tradition. It wasn't difficult to follow it or else you want to feel the wrath of Kami.

And so after his workout session, we contemplated we both needed to fill up our hungry bellies and in a true Ronald fashion, we opt to  go to somewhere healthy. 

"Vietnamese!", Ronald suggested with full enthusiasm. 

How can I say no? Tell me. 

That's Ronald in a blue form fitting shirt and his canned tuna.

"Ako ata ang isa sa mga nagpapayaman sa kompanya na gumagawa ng canned tuna. Everyday and every meal, I eat tuna."  He told me as he ate and while we waited for our orders. 

This was served first. It was going to be part of Ronald's Pho. 
Seafood Pho for Ronald.
My best friend Ronald and his order.
 He started to dig in as soon as the waitress put the bowl of seafood pho in front of him. This was one of his favorite food when he visited Vietnam last year.  He offered me some and I instantly chose those shrimps and balls of fish. It was heaven!

It took about fifteen minutes for my order to arrive. It was Chicken Nuong. (Tama ba?) 

My order!
 I am a meat person. Ergo, I always ordered chicken every time Ronald and I dine out. That way, I won't feel guilty that I am not living that healthy as he is. Of course, Ronald tried to convinced me not to eat the skin. I can't help it! A big sorry. 

So we munch and talked between breaks of spoonful of food. Now the light outside was  flaming but soon enough it will be starting to turn into dark. Our 'talk show' was just heating up. Topics of the day and most of the days: Career. Dreams. Aspirations. Sunflowers along the University Avenue. Fire tree favorite. Seventeen years. Done. And so another show episode ended.

Recording everything in his journal/planner.
The Planner.

No comments:

Post a Comment